Despite its admittedly cool name, there isn’t really anything cool about this condition, which is by far a lot more of a nuisance than anywhere near as action-flick-friendly as it sounds. When the tendons (or sheathes) that connect muscle to bone and regulate movement become affected by an inflammation, they have all kinds of reactions. In the case of your thumb, if this happens, it will be stuck in a bent position that also comes with a myriad of symptoms such as pain, stiffness, random twitching, and a general awkwardness when trying to perform some basic tasks. Luckily, there are numerous home remedies for trigger finger which will actually help you in getting rid of this condition.
Keep reading and discover what our main picks for this affliction are, paired with some detailed instructions which guide you step-by-step through the process of turning these suggestions into treatments.
1. Cold Compress
Usually whenever an inflammation of the joints and tendons are involved, you should look toward remedies that involve cold. Exposing these areas to something cold for enough time is going to numb the nerves and, thus, reduce both the pain and the inflammation. As such, a few ice packs might actually be the home remedies for trigger finger you are looking for.
- You can create your very own quick and easy cold compress by grabbing a fistful of ice cubes and then wrapping them in a thin towel.
- Place this compress to the sensitive area and keep it on for 5-10 minutes for instant relief.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a plant with very powerful anti-inflammatory properties, with many people describing its effects as cooling and relaxing. Using aloe vera topically is going to provide you with the relief you need, specifically targeting the inflamed tendons.
- Create a mixture by combining about 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder with 1 cup of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel.
- Apply this blend directly to the sensitive areas and let it sit for around 5-10 minutes.
- This should bring you instant relief, but you should definitely consider repeating this treatment for several days straight to get the best of results.
Pineapple contains brolein, a compound that is good for many things, including for treating cases of trigger finger. This is because it has anti-inflammatory properties, of course, but also because it boosts circulation and makes it much easier for your body to recover.
- Peel and cleanse a pineapple and then cut in small pieces.
- Add the pieces to a blender and puree for a few moments.
- Squeeze the resulting paste in order to draw out the liquid.
- Lastly, mix the pineapple juice with water and consume 2-3 glasses throughout the next few days.
Turmeric contains a miracle substance as well: curcumin. Curcumin is the primary active agent in this plant and it’s one of the best anti-inflammatory agents that nature has to offer. So, if you are looking for potent home remedies for trigger finger to help you out, this is one of your main candidates.
- Add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder to 1 cup of milk.
- Heat this blend over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Afterwards, remove from heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Add honey according to taste to make it more flavorful.
- Drink this solution twice a day for the next several days until you get the results you’ve been looking for.
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that will help you drain the stiffness from your joints and tendons, something that you… sort of need if you wish to be able to move your thumb again. Furthermore, it’s also deeply nourishing, so it will give your muscles the strength to function properly again.
- Mix together 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Stir everything until you get a paste.
- Apply this paste directly to the inflamed area.
- Allow it to dry naturally and then splash some water over the skin to clean it off.
- Repeat this remedy once a day as many times as you need for the effects to kick in.
Ginger is among the oldest remedies for inflammations of any kind, so there’s no wonder that we consider it to be one of the home remedies for trigger finger that you really need to try out for your own benefit. It will soothe pain and help with the stiffness hindering with your finger’s mobility.
- Place a small piece of ginger in about 1 cup of water.
- Boil this mixture for about 5 minutes and then steep for an additional 5 minutes.
- Strain and enjoy this tea while it’s still warm, optionally adding some honey too in order to bring up the flavor.
- Drink 1 cup of the ginger tea per day for however long it takes for the symptoms of trigger finger to dissipate.
7. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, a substance with thermogenic properties. In other words, it releases heat through the body. By applying a cayenne pepper paste to a stiff and aching part of the body, you will be able to soothe pain through these strong abilities.
- Warm up 2 tablespoons of olive oil and then add in 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder.
- Apply this mixture directly to the skin and then cover up with a bandage for security.
- Leave the blend to work its magic for 3-4 hours and then remove the bandage.
- Repeat this process daily for the next few days.
8. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that will greatly improve your situation by boosting circulation in the area that is currently being affected.
- You must first dilute the oregano oil before you can use it.
- In order to do that, add 8-10 drops of oregano oil to 2 tablespoons of any carrier oil of your choice, such as olive oil.
- Using a cotton pad or a cotton ball, apply the solution to the affected area.
- Leave it on for a few hours and then clean with warm water.
- Follow through with the same process around 2-3 times a day until you’re noticing an improvement.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the home remedies for trigger finger that will definitely help you thanks to the powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Many people use it to treat inflammations of the muscles or joints.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Massage this solution directly onto the sensitive area, attempting gentle circular motions.
- Keep doing this for 4-5 minutes.
- Lastly, make sure to repeat this treatment several times throughout the day to see the symptoms gradually fade away.
Make an almond paste in order to get your hands on a remedy that will slowly help you regain the mobility of your finger. Almonds are anti-inflammatory and they can help you both through external and internal use, making them reliable home remedies for trigger finger.
- Simply take 6-8 almonds and soak them in a container with water overnight.
- First thing in the morning, eat these almonds on an empty stomach.
- You can also do this by grinding the almonds into a paste and adding a little bit of honey and lemon to balance out the flavors.
- Do this every day for a couple of weeks.
Dandelion is yet again among the herbs that have anti-inflammatory powers, although they are slightly less potent compared to those such as chamomile. Still, dandelion remains for certain among the most reliable home remedies for trigger finger.
- To prepare some fresh dandelion tea, start by steeping 3 teaspoons of dandelion leaves in 1 cup of boiling water for up to 10 minutes.
- Afterwards, strain and add honey according to taste to combat the bitterness of dandelion.
- Enjoy 2 cups a day for the effects to kick in.
12. Coriander Seeds
Coriander seeds are excellent for muscle and joint stiffness. Whether you eat them or turn them into a topical form of application, you will be able to reap their benefit to deal with inflammation and the numbness that got your finger stuck in the first place.
- Soak a handful coriander seeds in heated water for 4-5 minutes.
- Next, grind them to create a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected space and keep it on for 4-5 minutes.
- You can repeat this process daily or whenever you’re in need of something to relax your muscles and joints to regain movement.
13. White Willow Tree
White willow has anti-numbing and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a proper treatment for this kind of issue. It will help soothe pain while also providing your joints and muscles with what they need in order to regain the lost mobility.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and then reduce heat to let it simmer instead.
- Add in 2 teaspoons of powdered or chipped white willow bark.
- Next, allow for the bark to infuse for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and then allow the mixture to steep for another 30 minutes.
- Add some honey and lemon to cover the bitter taste.
- Finally, drink twice a day while still warm for proper results.
14. Ginger Oil
Oils in general, when you use them for massaging, will help with this condition by offering lubrication to the bone. However, ginger oil is definitely the best of them all for this condition since it contains the added properties of ginger as well.
- Mix 3-4 drops of ginger oil with 1-2 tablespoons of a carrier oil of your choice, such as olive or jojoba.
- Rub gently into your feet by attempting circular massaging motions.
- Keep doing this for 5-10 minutes.
- Leave it on overnight and then rinse off in the morning.
With the home remedies for trigger finger that we’ve just recommended, it should be easy to get on the path to recovery and be able to resume your normal movements in practically no time. Simply follow the instructions, make these treatments into regular practices until the issue goes away, and you will be able to resume your daily tasks soon enough.