If you are wondering how do you get rid of dandruff, it means that you probably are one of the 50 million Americans who suffer from these obnoxious little flakes in their hair. A paper published in the Indian Journal of Dermatology labels dandruff as the skin disease that is most commercially exploited, with literally hundreds of hair care products created specifically for getting rid of dandruff. However, why would you spend a small fortune on pricey products when you can explore natural ways to get rid of dandruff? If your mind is swarming with questions like how do you get rid of dandruff fast, how do you get rid of bad dandruff or even how do you get rid of dandruff forever, you have come to the right place. Our article on how to get rid of dandruff showcases the 18 best ways to eliminate this nuisance.
How Do You Get Rid of Dandruff Naturally? It’s Simple!
Even though yogurt might not help you answer the million-dollar question how do you get rid of dandruff overnight, it’s certainly a great way to gradually treat your problem naturally. Please note that you need plain white yogurt for this home remedy for dandruff to work, also known as Greek yogurt.
- Wash your hair as you normally would, carefully following the instructions on the label of your product.
- Rinse well.
- Apply a plain yogurt mask directly on your scalp.
- Wait for fifteen minutes for it to sink in.
- Rinse your hair and wash it again.
- Repeat this remedy two to three times a week for long term results.
2. Neem Leaves
If you want to learn how can you get rid of dandruff fast, experimenting with neem leaves just might be the best solution for you. This wonderful herb has powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties that can work on your scalp to stop the flaking and itching that come with dandruff. Even though its scent is powerful, it’s worth trying for your condition.
- Boil about four cups of water and add 2 handfuls of neem leaves to them.
- Allow them to soak in the water over the night.
- The following morning, remove the leaves and use the neem leaf water as a rinse for your hair.
Among our numerous tips on how to get rid of hair dandruff, vinegar is by far one of the most reliable. Regardless if you use white or apple cider vinegar, this natural remedy is known for having an excellent effect for fighting dandruff. Just like in the case of neem leaves, it might not have the most pleasing aroma in the world. However, it has strong antifungal properties that can successfully remove the dead skin cells that cause dandruff.
- Before you get started with this remedy, we recommend that you apply it if you don’t have to leave the house for the next 12 hours (you’ll soon find out why).
- Mix equal parts of warm water and either white or apple cider vinegar. Usually half a cup each will suffice, but you can use more if you have long hair.
- Apply the mixture on your hair and gently massage it into your scalp.
- Rinse it with water in abundance, without using an additional hair product.
- Wait about 12 hours before washing your hair normally again.
4. Shampoo Correctly
If you keep pondering ‘what is the best way to get rid of dandruff?’, sometimes you have to get to the root of the problem, literally. You know how all of our shampoos and conditioners have specific instructions on the labels? Now, ask yourself: how many times have you actually followed these precise instructions? Thought so. If you take a closer look, you will notice three golden words: lather, rinse and repeat. The ‘repeat’ part is more important than you’d think, as not washing your hair properly or thoroughly can result in a bad case of dandruff.
- Pay attention to the instructions on your shampoo bottle. In almost all cases, you will be encouraged to repeat the shampooing process for the best results.
- As a side note, it is recommended that you invest in a chemical-free, quality dandruff shampoo that is made with natural ingredients.
Another one of our awesome tips on how to remove dandruff flakes will give you quite a tangy experience, if we do say so ourselves. Similar to other dandruff remedies on our list, lemons have antifungal benefits that attack the bacteria causing dandruff. Their acidic properties also work to reduce the flakes.
- Take one cup of water and add two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon and mix well.
- Use the solution to rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Repeat this remedy on a daily basis for a week and you should start seeing positive results.
So, how do you get dandruff out of your hair? It’s simple – try some salt. Yep, you heard us right. As we previously explained, dandruff is caused by dry skin cells on your scalp. To remove them properly, you need a good abrasive that can scrape them away. This home remedy for ‘how do you get rid of dandruff?’ is also easy to apply, so check out the instructions below.
- Simply use some salt as an abrasive and scrub your scalp for a few minutes with it.
- After that, wash your hair as normal, following the instructions with care.
7. Tea Tree Oil
While hunting for the best way to remove dandruff, sometimes you need to get to the essence of the matter (hint, hint). Experiment with an essential oil like tea tree oil to reap its wonderful benefits. Aside from the fact that tea tree oil is known for being an effective remedy for answering the burning question how do you get rid of dandruff, it also smells heavenly.
- Before applying tea tree oil as dandruff treatment, please check that you are not allergic to this ingredient. The best way to do so is to consult your doctor.
- Put a few drops of tea tree oil on your scalp and rub it in well.
- After five minutes, wash your hair normally.
- Repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times weekly.
8. Olive Oil
If you’re asking yourself what helps get rid of dandruff, you should check your pantry before going out to buy anything new. See any olive oil? Perfect! It just might be the best way to get rid of dandruff naturally for you.
- Cover your fingers with enough olive oil so you can apply it evenly on your scalp.
- Place a shower cap on your head and let it sink in as you sleep.
- In the morning, wash your hair thoroughly and repeat twice a week.
One of the tips regarding ‘how do you get rid of dandruff quickly?’ that you might not have expected at all is aspirin. The reason why this tablet works so well is that it contains salicylic acid, an ingredient that can be found in countless hair care products. It attacks dandruff and leaves your scalp flake-free after frequent use.
- Crush two tablets of aspirin and add them to a normal amount of shampoo for one use.
- Apply the aspirin shampoo and leave it on for two minutes.
- Afterwards, wash your hair with regular shampoo.
10. Coconut Oil
A fantastic tip on how to get rid of heavy dandruff smells like all your sweet dreams come true. You probably know by now that coconut oil is amazing for numerous health issues, so there were high chances of it being effective for dandruff too.
- Take a few tablespoons of melted coconut oil and rub it on your scalp.
- Wait for an hour before shampooing and rinsing your hair as you usually do.
- Repeat twice a week for the best impact.
You might not be exactly delighted to hear that garlic is a great remedy for how to get rid of dandruff for good, but you should put all judging aside and just try it out. This delicious (but not so nice-smelling) ingredient has amazing antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal properties that can battle your dandruff from the skin up.
- Crush a few cloves of garlic and apply them to your scalp.
- Wait for a bit and wash your hair with shampoo.
12. Orange Peel
Yet another great tip on how to get dandruff out of hair can also be found in your home, provided you’re a fruit-lover. The citric acid in oranges is exceptional for getting rid of dandruff, but the peels of orange are even better.
- Take a few orange peels and some freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix them in a blender or processor.
- Use the paste as a hair mask and wash it off after half an hour.
- Apply this remedy for getting rid of dandruff three times a week.
13. Aloe Vera
Admit it – you were almost convinced that aloe vera was in the category of what gets rid of dandruff naturally. If you follow our tips here on Home Remedy Book, you will notice that aloe vera can be found in almost each and every one of them. Its properties are multiple and wonderful – from anti-inflammatory to soothing and more.
- Before you apply shampoo, massage some aloe vera gel into your hair.
- You can obtain aloe vera juice by cutting open a leaf and extracting it manually.
14. Balanced Diet
In some cases, the best tips on how to remove dandruff from hair are all about making conscious choices to change. Little do people know that diet is strongly connected to healthy hair and skin. In a nutshell, food that is generally unhealthy for you is also unhealthy for your hair.
- Try to avoid foods that cause inflammation, like fried meals, junk food and other unhealthy ingredients.
- Instead, replace them with plenty of fruits, vegetables and water in abundance.
15. Baking Soda
If you want to naturally get rid of dandruff, you should really consider using baking soda as a healthy remedy. Its antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties will help you say good bye to dandruff for good.
- Dissolve one tablespoon of baking soda in one cup of warm water.
- Use this daily for about a week instead of shampoo and conditioner to restore the oils in your scalp.
- Your hair might be a bit dry at first, but it will get back to normal soon.
16. Egg Yolks
Mastering how to take out dandruff sometimes requires just opening your refrigerator. Egg yolks are amazing for removing dandruff naturally, especially when used as a hair mask.
- Crack open two eggs and separate the yolks from the whites.
- Apply the yolks on your scalp.
- Put on a shower cap and wait for one hour for the egg yolks to work their magic.
- Shampoo your hair and rinse thoroughly.
Among the herbal remedies on how to get rid of dandruff fast is also fenugreek. Even though the preparation process is a bit more complicated than other natural dandruff cures on our lists, the results are super pleasing.
- Crush a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and add them to two cups of hot water.
- Let the crushed fenugreek seeds soak in the water overnight.
- In the morning, strain the mixture and use it as a rinse.
Surprisingly, mouthwash is known for been a top tip on how to clear dandruff. Mouthwash contains antifungal, antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can help you remove dandruff with ease.
- Add one-part mouthwash to two parts water.
- Wash your hair and add the solution with the help of a spray bottle.
- After half an hour, rinse well with water.
We hope that you’re no longer asking yourself how do you get rid of dandruff?. At least one solution from our collection of tips on how to get rid of dandruff naturally and fast at home and how to wash out dandruff should have worked for you. Tell us all about your experience in a comment and share your story with other readers!
Image credits: no attribution required.