Knowing how to get rid of gingivitis using home remedies can come in handy since it is a common gum disease that affects many people. Although it is a mild form of gum infection gingivitis can pose increasingly serious threats if it is left untreated. Common symptoms of gingivitis include swelling, redness, and irritation of the gums. Bad breath, receding gums, loose teeth, or bleeding gums can also be signs of an increasingly severe form of gingivitis. We can help you figure out how to get rid of gingivitis at home with these simple home remedies detailed below.
How to Get Rid of Gingivitis at Home Fast
1. Oil Pulling
Learn how to get rid of gingivitis using the ancient oil pulling method. This can help reduce plaque by countering the bacteria that gather in our mouth and cause gingivitis. This practice can also help strengthen gums and improve overall oral hygiene if practiced over a certain period of time. Moreover, it can also be used as a home remedy for cavities.
- Use either sesame oil or coconut oil for oil pulling.
- Put a tablespoon of oil into your mouth and swish it around for about 20 minutes.
- Spit the oil out and rinse your mouth with warm water until it is clean.
- Repeat this process every morning before brushing your teeth over the course of a month.
If you are wondering how to get rid of gingivitis with salt you must learn that salt is well known for its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It can be successfully used to remedy gingivitis as it can treat inflamed or sore gums. Salt can also draw the infection out from any abscesses in your mouth and prevent bacteria from gathering and forming plaque, improving overall oral hygiene.
- Mix ½ tablespoon of salt into a glass of warm water and stir thoroughly until the salt dissolves.
- Rinse your mouth with this solution every morning and every evening if your gums are swollen.
- Repeat this process until the swelling has subsided..
The curcumin contained in the turmeric root has a very strong anti-inflammatory effect and encourages wounds to heal faster. Curcumin can not only reduce swelling but also eliminate plaque, gum pain, and bacterial activity in the gums. Its anti-microbial properties make it ideal for preventing plaque, which is caused by bacteria gathering on the teeth and gums.
- Mash fresh turmeric root into a paste.
- Brush it over your teeth and gums using a soft toothbrush.
- Spit and rinse after you’ve massaged the paste onto the teeth and gums thoroughly.
- Mix turmeric powder with a bit of water to create a paste.
- Brush your teeth and gums with it.
- Then rinse it off.
4. Lemon Juice
Learn how to get rid of gingivitis using a cheap remedy such as lemon. Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C which can help protect your gums against infections. It also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can aid in reducing gum inflammation and treat gum disease.
- Squeeze the juice out of a lemon and mix it into a glass of warm water.
- Rinse your mouth with this solution every time after brushing your teeth.
- Mix some lemon juice with a bit of salt to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on your gums and massage it in for a few minutes.
- Then rinse it out with warm water.
Sage has been used in medical treatments for centuries and it’s not difficult to see why. The plant has anti-inflammatory and cleansing properties that can help remove bacteria from your gums and reduce local swelling.
- Chop fresh sage leaves or a bit of dried sage and rub it onto the affected areas on your gums.
- Pack the sage on the area and leave it for a couple of minutes.
- Clean it out and rinse your mouth.
- Rub sage and salt together and grind them into a paste.
- Add a bit of warm water.
- Brush the paste on the teeth for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse it out.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda is known for its antacid properties and it can be used as an effective home remedy if you’re wondering how to get rid of gingivitis fast and easy at home. It’s inexpensive and works wonders to neutralize the acids in your mouth, reducing the risk of gum disease as well as tooth decay.
- Use ¼ to ½ a tablespoon of baking soda and mix it with a bit of warm water to create a paste.
- Brush your teeth and massage your gums with this paste and leave it to rest for 2 minutes.
- Repeat the treatment two or three times a week.
7. Aloe Vera
The antifungal and antibacterial properties that Aloe Vera has will help ward off gingivitis by reducing the bacteria that accumulate in your mouth. This bacteria causes plaque which leads to gingivitis and other oral health issues. Aloe Vera is also one of our most go to home remedies for receding gums as well.
- Break an Aloe Vera leaf in two and rub the pulp directly on the affected area.
- Leave the pulp there for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse it out using cold water.
- Repeat a few times every day until the inflammation subsides.
Because of its analgesic and antioxidant properties, clove has been used in natural remedies for different afflictions. As it is also a strong antiseptic and it has anti-inflammatory effects, clove is a great option for treating gingivitis at home and an abscessed tooth. Cloves or clove oil can be used to reduce gum swelling and eliminate bacteria and infection from the gums and teeth.
- Chew on two or three cloves twice a day to benefit from its effects.
- Rub clove oil on your gums and leave it on for a few minutes as an alternative.
- Rinse it out with warm water.
- Do this twice a day.
9. Tea Tree Oil
Not only is tea tree oil a natural antibiotic, it also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help treat gingivitis by reducing swelling and help soothe irritation. This is also one of the most popular home remedies for dry socket.
- Use tea tree oil gel to brush your teeth regularly.
- Dissolve a drop of tea tree oil into your regular toothpaste each time before brushing.
- Rinse it out and repeat regularly.
10. Guava Leaves
Known for their strong antioxidant effect, guava leaves are extremely beneficial for treating gingivitis. They also have anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antimicrobial properties which can help reduce gum swelling and prevent infections. Guava leaves can also relieve pain and keep plaque away.
- Wash a few guava leaves.
- Chewed a few leaves twice a day.
- Spit them out after chewing them for a few minutes.
- Ground some guava leaves into a paste.
- Use it as a regular toothpaste to maintain gum and tooth cleanliness.
- Brush your teeth with this regularly.
It’s important to know how to get rid of gingivitis using easily accessible ingredients. Peppermint is a very effective gingivitis remedy because it has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It is also useful to eliminate the bacteria that causes bad breath and it can help reduce inflammation.
- Crush a few peppermint leaves and place them in water for about half an hour.
- Use this solution as you would use a regular mouthwash.
- Repeat twice or three times a day.
Neem is a popular plant in India because of its many healing effects and it is used in many natural remedies. It can also help improve dental health by preventing plaque from forming. The plant has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties which keep bacteria away from teeth and gums.
- Get neem gel and use it along with the normal dental cleaning products that you have.
- Simply brush your teeth with the gel then rinse your mouth.
- Use mouthwash or toothpaste that contains neem extract as an alternative.
13. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil can be used for oil pulling or in combination with other beneficial ingredients to improve dental health. This oil has been a popular way of maintaining good oral hygiene for centuries as it has antibacterial, antimicrobial, and analgesic properties.
- Combine mustard oil with a bit of salt and some lemon juice.
- Use the mix to brush your teeth and massage your gums.
- Rinse with warm water after brushing.
- Try oil pulling with some mustard oil for 10 minutes as an alternative.
It is well known that garlic has many beneficial effects on our health. However, garlic is also a great option for those wondering how to get rid of gingivitis using a completely natural option. It has anti-bacterial properties that help keep bacteria away from your gums and teeth. It can also be used to soothe irritated gums and reduce swelling, as well as for treating tooth infections.
- Crush a few garlic cloves and turn them into a paste.
- Add some turmeric powder and mix well.
- Brush your teeth and massage your gums with this paste.
- Rinse your teeth thoroughly afterward.
- Use the garlic cloves directly on affected gums as an alternative.
15. Cranberry Juice
Cranberry juice has antioxidant and antiseptic properties that can help you avoid infections and maintain good oral hygiene. It is also a natural anti-bacterial that helps prevent plaque from forming on teeth by eliminating most of the bacteria that remains in the mouth after each meal.
- Crush and blend some cranberries and add water to create a liquid.
- Drink cranberry juice or use it as a mouthwash to reduce plaque and bacteria.
Gingivitis is caused by a build-up of plaque which irritates the gums and teeth and which can lead to severe infections if it is left untreated. That is why we thought we should help in case you are wondering how to get rid of gingivitis in the comfort of your own home. Try out some of the natural remedies we suggested here and find out which one works best for you, then let us know all about it in a comment below!