Looking for effective solutions for how to get rid of headaches? No matter if you want to learn how to get rid of a caffeine headache, how to get rid of a headache while pregnant or how to get rid of a stress headache, there are numerous home remedies you can try out that don’t involve and kind of antibiotics.
It might be hard to believe at first, but it is possible to master how to get rid of headaches fast without medicine. What you need is the right list of home remedies that you can count on for safely relieving the symptoms of nasty headaches. Enjoy the guidance provided in our guide on how to get rid of headaches with easy and safe home remedies below!
How to Get Rid of Headaches at Home with Natural Remedies
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
You probably already know by now that apple cider vinegar is one of the best ingredients you can have around the house for naturally treating health issues. If you are wondering what makes it so effective as a home remedy for how to get rid of a sinus headache, its anti-inflammatory benefits will counter any doubts you may have. Apples are also good for headaches, but apple cider vinegar is recommended the most for combatting the pain.
- You can either drink some diluted apple cider vinegar or inhale steam with it.
- For the first option, take two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and add them to a cup of water. If it’s challenging to drink, add some lemon or raw honey.
- The second option involves adding four tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a big bowl of hot water.
- Take a clean towel and place it over your head, bending the bowl of hot water.
- Inhale the steam for fifteen minutes.
2. Thyme Oil
Thyme oil is a great piece of advice for how to get rid of a headache fast. Similar to apple cider vinegar and other natural ingredients on our list, thyme works as a tip on how to get rid of headaches thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Thyme oil works best for healing headaches when used for massage.
- Rub some thyme oil in your hands and gently massage the sides of your head or the area causing you pain.
- You can ask someone to help you if the pain is too severe.
Even though this isn’t technically a tip on how to get rid of sinus headache, it’s a reliable piece of diet advice that can help you prevent headaches from occurring. Magnesium is an essential nutrient for maintain a clear head, so to speak. Studies have concluded that headaches could be caused by a lack of magnesium in the body, so you should review your diet and see if you are getting the minerals you need to avoid head pain.
- Talk to your doctor about the best magnesium supplements for you.
- As an alternative, add more foods that are rich in magnesium in your daily diet. Some excellent sources of magnesium are:
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Swiss chard
- Brazilian nuts
- Sesame seeds
If you want to learn how to get rid of a headache without medicine, you should try some freshly squeezed lemonade. Unfortunately, there is no research to back up the idea that lemons can heal headaches, but this ingredient might give you just the refresh you need to feel better.
- Take ½ a lemon and squeeze it into one cup of warm water.
- If you are experiencing headaches during the summer and it’s hot outside, you can chill the beverage for an even more refreshing impact.
Do you want to know how to get rid of tension headaches while enjoying a delicious scent? Cinnamon just might be the answer to all of your problems. This is an amazing home ready for how to get rid of headaches during the winter, if you have been exposed to freezing cold air.
- Take some cinnamon sticks and crush them until you get a thin powder.
- Put a bit of water to the cinnamon powder and mix well, until you get a paste-like substance.
- Apply the cinnamon paste to the sides of your head, your forehead and any other area causing your headache.
- Sit back for half an hour and wash it off afterwards.
6. Coriander Seeds
If you went partying last night, you might be wondering how to get rid of a hangover headache. Well, one of the solutions you have close by is coriander. Coriander seeds, in particular, are great for reducing the inflammation that comes with migraines and headaches. The nice part about coriander seeds as ingredients for how to get rid of headaches is that they can be consumed in various forms.
- Brew some coriander tea and drink to get headache relief.
- You can also add coriander seeds to your meals.
- Alternatively, chew some coriander seeds.
Ginger is a delightful ingredient for all sorts of home remedies, including headaches. It’s part of our solutions for how to get rid of a tension headache owing to its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. You can read more about the additional health benefits of ginger here. As for healing your headache, you can whip up some ginger tea.
- Get a bit of ginger root and chop it in small pieces.
- Boil them in hot water and drink as soon as you feel a headache creeping up on you.
- You can drink this 1-2 times a day for particularly painful headaches.
8. Lavender Oil
Thyme isn’t the only oil that acts as a reliable ingredient for how to get rid of a bad headache. Lavender oil is equally as effective, just in a different way. Lavender oil is incredible for aromatherapy, meaning that its scent has the power to calm your nerves and make your headache go away.
- Inhale a bit of lavender oil if you feel that your head is aching.
- To boost the effects of lavender oil for headaches, use it with coconut or olive oil to massage the key areas that you feel pain in.
9. Scalp Massage
As you probably have noticed, one of the best ways for how to get rid of sinus headaches is to massage. Regardless if you use thyme oil, lavender oil or coconut oil, rubbing your pressure points will help the pain go away and, of course, your headache.
- Using an essential oil and a carrier oil, gently press your fingers on your temples and move them circularly.
- You should also massage the area above your brow, at the base of your neck and along your jaw.
If you want to find out how to get rid of tension headache and calm down, peppermint is your go-to ingredient. It promotes relaxation and will help you unwind and not focus on the pain. You can use peppermint either topically or orally, whichever works best for you.
- Use a bit of peppermint oil and apply the massage techniques we described earlier.
- You can also brew some peppermint tea using one cup of water and one teaspoon of dried peppermint. Add honey to taste.
11. Cold Compress
A home remedy on how to get rid of hangover headache that has been tried and tested time and time again doesn’t require any sort of shopping or frantically searching through your cupboards. It won’t cost you a dime and it’s readily available at all times. A cold compress can soothe your headache and help you get back on your feet soon.
- Soak a clean towel in ice cold water and place it on your forehead. Lie down and leave it on as much as you can.
- You can also place an ice pack on your forehead, just make sure it doesn’t have direct contact with your skin.
Omega-3 fatty acids can be lifesavers, not to mention some of the best tips on how to get rid of headaches naturally and prevent them from appearing. Omega-3 supplements or foods that contain these fatty acids have a plethora of properties that can help you feel better in no time. The National Health Interview Survey conducted by the National Center for Complementary and Integrative health reveals that fish oil / Omega-3 fatty acids were the top natural product used by Americans (18.8 million) in 2012. With these statistics in mind, you should really take this solution into consideration.
- Ask your doctor about taking omega-3 supplements.
- You can also consume foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as:
To continue our list of remedies for how to get rid of headaches without medicine, we would like to introduce you to almonds. You probably already love this tasty nut, but you might not be aware of the countless health benefits it has. Aside from being an exceptional source of magnesium, almonds are packed with vitamin E, protein, fiber and all sorts of other great nutrients.
- Simply snack on a handful of almonds if you feel that you are starting to get a headache.
- You can also enjoy some trail mix with almonds or add it to other types of food you enjoy.
14. Caffeine (in Moderation)
When researching how to get rid of headaches naturally, you will get mix opinions on the impact of caffeine. It’s kind of a paradox – caffeine can cause headaches or help you get rid of them. While consuming caffeine in abundance can make you feel like your head is exploding, drinking just a bit of caffeine during key moments can actually alleviate the symptoms.
- Drink a small cup of black tea or coffee to calm your headache down.
- If you feel that it doesn’t work or it gets worse, reach out to your doctor for professional and hands-on advice on how to get rid of headaches.
You would be surprised to know how many headaches are caused by a great lack of hydration. We live busy lives in a fast-paced society and sometimes we just forget to drink water altogether. As a result, a crucial tip on how to get rid of a migraine headache is to make sure that you are getting as much water as you need on a daily basis.
- Specialists recommend at least eight full, 8 oz. glasses of fresh water every day.
- If you feel particularly bad because of a headache, try to drink some cold water and rest so your body can regain its strength.
We have to admit it; spinach unfortunately won’t help if you are looking for a remedy on how to get rid of a headache instantly. However, its countless health benefits will aid you, in time, in avoiding headaches and maintaining your all-around health. It is stuffed with amazing nutrients that can help with all kinds of headaches. You can learn more about the positive impact that spinach has on the human body in this article.
- Eat spinach salads when you feel that your head hurts or if you want to prevent headaches in the long run.
- You can also enjoy spinach smoothies, juices or in any other fresh form that you enjoy.
17. Sleep or Rest
Nothing can beat a good night’s sleep or a deep nap when you want to learn how to get rid of a headache without medication. Headaches are frequently caused by not getting enough sleep or stressing out too much, so try to solve this issue by getting your strength back.
- If you experience a headache during the evening, simply go to sleep.
- If it’s during the day and you still have work to do, take a power nap or simply relax for fifteen minutes.
In the end, the best tips on how to get rid of stress headaches, how to get rid of a headache without pills or how to get rid of a cluster headache all depend on you. You can try these ingredients on how to get rid of headaches and avoid over-the-counter medication like a pro. Share your story with us in a comment and inspire other readers!