We have all been there before – standing in front of the mirror, desperately asking ourselves how to get rid of puffy eyes. Regardless if your inner turmoil is connected to how to get rid of puffy eyes after crying, how to get rid of puffy eyes in the morning or how to get rid of puffy eyes from allergies, the causes all lead to the same effect.
While you can look into techniques on how to get rid of puffy eyes with makeup, this won’t solve the true problem. What you can do is collect natural remedies on how to get rid of puffy eyes fast and try them out. For that, we welcome you to our 15 tips on how to get rid of puffy eyes quickly and naturally. Read all about them below and discover how to get rid of swollen puffy eyes today!
How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes in a Safe and Natural Way
1. Salt & Water
If you want to learn how to get rid of puffy eyes from crying fast but you don’t have many ingredients or options at hand, preparing some salt water is a great option for quick recovery. This solution works by combatting the retention of fluid and relieving you of swollen eyes.
- Combine half a teaspoon of salt with four cups of warm water.
- Drench 2 cotton pads or balls in the salt water.
- Close your eyes and apply the pads for several minutes.
- Repeat as necessary until the puffiness subsides.
Sometimes the key for how to get rid of dark circles and puffy eyes doesn’t involve any ingredients at all. Puffiness can be caused by a lack of circulation, so putting your body to work a bit can help your levels get back to normal. If you’re suffering from allergies or another uncomfortable reason your eyes are puffy, you might not be up for exercise. However, a bit of motion can go a long way.
- Engage in simple exercises to get your blood flowing. A few easy options are:
3. Turmeric Powder
As the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health informs, turmeric is known to have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and even anticancer properties. If you are wondering how to get rid of crying puffy eyes, you can count on this kind of anti-inflammatory agent to get the job done. This spice has been used for years on end for health issues, so you should give it a go and see how it works for your puffy eyes.
- Take one or two teaspoons of turmeric powder and mix it into a bit of water.
- Apply under your eyes and wait a while.
- You can also use aloe vera gel instead of water for a boosted effect.
- Repeat this remedy throughout the day and even leave it on while you sleep for a positive impact.
4. Ice Water
The easiest home remedy for how to get rid of red puffy eyes is readily available through your faucet and freezer. Ice-cold water can refresh your face, reduce puffiness and leave you with an all-around fresh and well-rested look.
- To successfully apply this home remedy for how to get rid of puffy swollen eyes, get some cold water prepared. It’s even better if you can chill it more with ice cubes, so throw some in if you have them nearby.
- Wash your face with the ice water once every 2-3 hours.
Eggs are great both as tips for how to get rid of puffy eyes and dark circles at the same time. The whites of eggs, in particular, contain all the benefits you need to lighten the skin, smoothen out wrinkles and refresh your face. If you have some fresh eggs lying around the house, put them to good use as ingredients for how to get rid of bags and puffy eyes.
- Get two eggs and remove the whites from the yolks.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl and whip them well until the substance becomes consistent.
- Apply the mixture under your eyes with the corner of a clean towel.
- Allow it to sink in and dry for fifteen minutes.
- Repeat the process every day until you start seeing results.
6. Black or Green Tea Bags
Isn’t funny how tea bags can help you to figure out how to get rid of puffy eye bags? Amusing as it may initially seem, certain types of tea bags can reduce the swelling and puffiness under your eyes. Black tea and green tea specifically work the best, so browse through the instructions below to see how you can use them.
- Get 2 tea bags of your choice and leave them in boiled water for five minutes.
- Remove them from the water and wait until they cool down.
- Close your eyes, lie down and put them on.
- Do this every time you feel that your eyes are becoming puffy.
7. Cold Compress
Regardless if you want to learn how to get rid of eye puffiness from crying, allergies or lack of sleep, a cold compress will almost always do the trick. A cold compress will bring quick relief for inflammation, puffiness and swelling.
- Get a bag of ice and wrap it with a clean, thin towel.
- Place the compress over your eyes for roughly fifteen minutes at a time.
- You can also use packs of frozen food (like peas) wrapped in a cloth for a similar effect.
- Repeat a couple of times every day for the best results.
8. Strawberry Slices
A really nice ingredient for how to get rid of dark puffy eyes is one that you need to control yourself from eating before applying it. Surprisingly, strawberries are wonderful for reducing puffy eyes, owing to their (AHA) alpha hydroxy acid content.
- Put some strawberries in your fridge and allow them to cool for about half an hour.
- Cut the green part off and slice two big pieces.
- Put them under your eyes for about ten minutes and repeat as necessary.
As a paper published in the Spatula DD journal in 2011 reveals, coriander contains both nutritional and medicinal benefits. Among these is also its status as a fine tip on how to get rid puffy eyes by lowering the swelling. Coriander seeds work the best, as far as techniques on how to get rid of dark puffy circles under eyes are concerned.
- Take a handful of coriander seeds and create a bag out of thin cloth to tie them in.
- Place the cloth bag with coriander seeds in a bowl of water and allow them to soak for a couple of hours.
- After that, you can apply one of these two methods:
- Wash your eyes with the water that the coriander seeds were soaked in.
- Use the bag with coriander seeds and apply it under your eyes for about twenty minutes.
10. Cold Milk
Just like cold water, cold milk is also effective for how to get rid of puffy under eyes fast. It has a cooling, soothing and refreshing effect for the skin and it battles fluid retention. For this home remedy for how to get rid of puffiness under eyes fast, you will need milk and cotton balls.
- Take a cup of cold milk and soak two cotton balls in it.
- Put them over your eyes and lie down for half an hour.
- Wash your face and repeat on a daily basis.
Black and green tea aren’t the only ones that can help you with mastering how to get rid of puffiness under the eyes. Chamomile tea has some extra health benefits that will speed up the process: reducing red or irritated skin.
- Get two bags of chamomile tea and steep them for approximately five minutes.
- Let them chill and then put them over your eyes.
- Wait for about fifteen minutes before removing them and rinsing.
- Repeat this natural remedy as much as you need throughout the day.
12. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is known for possessing an abundance of health benefits and properties, which you can read more about in this excerpt from Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. To sum up, aloe vera gel has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant and healing properties that can help you with figuring out how to get rid of puffy eyes instantly. It is recommended that you use natural aloe vera juice that you extract from fresh leaves.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and cut it in half in order to remove the gel.
- Apply the gel on the affected area under your eyes.
- Wait for twenty minutes before washing your face.
- Be careful so you don’t get the gel in your eyes.
13. Cucumber Slices
Cucumbers are a popular solution for how to get rid of puffy eye lids that you can apply at any time. The astringent, cooling and soothing properties that cucumbers have make them some of the best home remedies for how to get rid of puffy dark circles under eyes.
- Put a cucumber in the refrigerator for a few hours in order for it to become cold.
- Cut two slices and place them on your eyes.
- Leave them on for fifteen minutes.
- Do this several times throughout the day for the best results.
Among the how to get rid of puffy eyes home remedies on our list, potatoes are some of the easiest ingredients to find and use. What makes potatoes so great for how to get rid of puffiness around eyes is that they have anti-inflammatory properties that can lower the swelling in the area. You will notice that the steps for applying them are easy, much like those for cucumbers or strawberries. You also have another method for using them, so see which one is the easiest for you.
- Thoroughly wash a potato and peel it.
- Cut two thick slices and place each one under your eyes.
- As an alternative, you can grate a potato and tie it in a thin cloth.
- Take this bag and placed it under your eyes.
- In both cases you should wait about fifteen minutes before removing them and washing your face.
- Apply this remedy every day for the best results.
15. Lifestyle Changes
Sometimes, the best methods for how to get rid of puffy bags under eyes naturally are long-term. For instance, there are several changes that you can make in your daily lifestyle in order to heal your puffy eyes and prevent any bags from forming under them in the future. Nevertheless, this home remedy for how to get rid of puffy tired eyes takes time, patience and persistence, so don’t give up if you don’t see results in the first few days.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco.
- Try to rest as much as possible every night.
- Exercise frequently.
- Make sure that your diet is healthy and well-balanced.
- Drink water in abundance every day.
- Use gentle soaps and creams on your face so you won’t harm your skin.
- If your allergies are the cause of your puffy eyes, speak with your doctor about the appropriate medication for treating them.
To wrap up, most cases of getting rid of puffy eyes don’t require professional medical attention. However, if you feel any unusual symptoms when experimenting with tips on how to get rid of a puffy eye, you should seek the assistance of your doctor. Not all of these remedies on how to get rid of puffy eyes work on the spot, but with patience and persistence you will feel, look and be healthy and happy again. How about you? What are your natural secrets for how to get rid of puffy crying eyes, how to get rid of puffy allergy eyes or how to get rid of morning puffy eyes? Share your insight in a comment below and make sure you stay well-rested!
Image sources: no attribution required unless stated otherwise in photo captions.