At the end of the day, who wouldn’t want a million-dollar smile after following some fantastic tips on how to naturally whiten teeth? We all know how important a clean, bright and welcoming smile is, not only for how others perceive you, but especially for your own confidence and self-esteem. Finding out how to whiten teeth naturally overnight or at least how to naturally whiten teeth fast might not be the easiest task in the world, but it sure isn’t impossible.
We live in a society where we are constantly attacked by personal hygiene commercials everywhere we go, but how reliable are these products? You should know by now that even some pricey cleaning and bleaching procedures at the dentist can pose a threat to your tooth enamel, so what can you do to master the process of how to whiten your teeth naturally at home? It’s simple, try one of these 16 effective tips on how to naturally whiten teeth.
Today’s guide will walk you through how to whiten teeth fast at home naturally without causing any damage to your oral cavity. They’re incredibly diverse, from certain foods that are recommended for teeth whitening to other household solutions that you can apply instantly. Experiment with these awesome tips on how to whiten teeth safely and naturally and get the smile you have always dreamed of!
How to Naturally Whiten Teeth: 16 Easy, Safe and Amazing Home Remedies
1. Sea Salt
Our first tip on how to naturally whiten your teeth is to rinse your mouth with sea salt and water frequently. It works amazingly both with and without baking soda as a secondary ingredient. However, if you choose sea salt as your ultimate tool for how to naturally whiten teeth, make sure that you dissolve it in a bit of water beforehand. This is an abrasive ingredient that might harm your tooth enamel if applied directly.
- Take a bit of sea salt and mix it with some water so it can dissolve.
- Dip your toothbrush in the sea salt water and brush your teeth as you normally would.
- Don’t forget to brush twice a day for a radiant smile.
2. DIY Toothpaste
If you want to get creative with your tips on how to whiten teeth naturally fast at home, you can have fun making your very own toothpaste. We found this amazing recipe that we wanted to share with you too, as it contains several ingredients that are wonderful for whitening teeth without harming them.
- Gather pure calcium carbonate powder (1/4 cup), non-GMO xylitol powder (3 tbsp.) and MCT oil (1/4 cup). You can also add some of your favorite essential oils to suit your taste.
- Mix all the ingredients well, either by using a blender or mixing by hand.
- Use this as your daily toothpaste.
3. Raw, Crunchy & Fresh Foods
What can be better than learning how to whiten teeth at home naturally while enjoying delicious treats at the same time? If you eat foods that are crunchy, raw and fresh, you will be scrubbing the bacteria away from your teeth effectively. Your best bet are fruits and vegetables, so take a look at a few examples you can enjoy today.
- Eat crisp veggies like carrots, celery, cucumbers or broccoli.
- You can also enjoy a handful of raw nuts for a similar effect.
You probably would expect strawberries to be on this list, especially considering the fact that they’re colored. Well, you should know that quite a few celebrities use this yummy fruit as a method for how to whiten your teeth naturally fast. Strawberries contain an ingredient called malic acid, which helps in fighting plaque and stains on your teeth. You can make your very own batch of strawberry paste at home to get glistening white teeth.
- Crush up three strawberries in a bowl.
- Mix in half a teaspoon of baking soda.
- Use this solution several times every week for the best results.
5. Drink with a Straw
It might seem a bit silly that drinking with a straw would be a tip on how to whiten naturally yellow teeth, but this small gesture can make a huge difference. Every time our teeth come into contact with dark drinks, they slowly but surely get stained. As a result, drinking these beverages with a straw minimizes the contact with teeth and shields them from yellowing.
- When you drink dark liquids like red wine or coffee, use a straw.
- You should consider buying a bag of straws and keeping it in your kitchen so you have them at hand at all times.
6. Activated Charcoal
You might have heard of this tip on how to whiten teeth naturally at home fast, especially since it has gained widespread popularity in the last year. This DIY remedy for getting whiter teeth is quite a bit controversial, as it doesn’t have that much scientific evidence to back it up. However, you can find countless videos online proving that it really does have a nice impact. Try it for yourself and see if it works.
- Moisten your toothbrush and dip it in some powdered activated charcoal.
- Use it to brush your teeth.
- Spit and brush with toothpaste.
- Do this at least once a week for a visible impact.
7. Coconut Oil
Another popular home remedy that has taken the internet by storm recently is oil pulling. In a nutshell, it implies swishing coconut oil or sesame oil in your mouth, like you would with a regular mouthwash. Its properties are said to have an excellent impact on your oral cavity (and your body in general). As a tip on how to naturally whiten teeth at home fast, it’s best to use coconut oil.
- Before you eat breakfast, swish a bit of coconut oil in your mouth for about twenty minutes.
- It might be a little difficult at first, but you can start with 10 minutes and gradually increase the swishing time.
- Practice daily for top results, or at least a few times every week.
Another tip on how to whiten the teeth naturally that you probably didn’t expect to turn up on our list is turmeric. If you are passionate about home remedies, you most likely know that turmeric is among the top 5 healthiest ingredients to use. Nevertheless, it seems counter-intuitive to use a yellowish substance to get rid of yellow stains, especially when the ingredient is known for staining. Turmeric, in fact, is not only great for whitening teeth, but studies also show that its anti-inflammatory properties help with gum problems.
- Dip your toothbrush in a bit of turmeric powder.
- Brush your teeth with the turmeric.
- Wait for five minutes so it can sink in.
- Rinse as normal.
9. Change Your Diet
So we know what foods are good for how to whiten yellow teeth naturally, but how about the ones we should stay away from? Some foods, no matter how nutritious they may be, can really have a negative impact on your teeth. Dark foods, in particular, are known for causing stains in time.
- Try to stay away from dark foods and drinks, like blueberries or coffee.
- To make it easier, replace them with lighter foods and beverages that have a similar taste or effect.
10. Tongue Brushing
Even though this isn’t a direct tip for how to whitening teeth naturally overnight, it has amazing benefits in time. We all know that we should also brush our tongue when brushing our teeth, but few know exactly how important this small step is in the whole process. You would be shocked to know how much bacteria accumulates on our tongues throughout the day, so you can imagine how critical it is to brush thoroughly.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day, insisting for a few minutes on your tongue towards the end.
- Don’t forget to floss and use mouthwash for a shining smile.
11. Floss Frequently
So, you want to know how to naturally whiten teeth without damaging enamel in any way? If this isn’t already a daily habit for you, start getting serious about it. Flossing is as essential for dental health as brushing teeth is. Just imagine the amount of food that gets stuck between your teeth throughout the day and remains there. Terrible!
- Floss on a daily basis, using the proper techniques.
- If possible, floss at least twice a day.
12. Brush Your Teeth Often
It pretty much goes without saying that frequently brushing your teeth is the best tip on how to naturally whiten teeth of all. When we say frequently, we mean more than once in the morning and occasionally before you go to sleep at night. You should start carrying your toothbrush around with you if you really want to get that Colgate smile you have been dying for.
- Brush your teeth every morning and every night.
- Also brush them after every meal to eliminate pieces of food before they get the chance to stick between your teeth.
13. Stop Smoking & Drinking
Needless to say, smoking and drinking can be the main cause for your yellow teeth at the moment. Smoking is horrible and stains your teeth, while poisoning your gums, tongue and every other element of your oral cavity. In addition to this, drinking (especially dark beverages, like red wine) causes a considerable amount of damage in time.
- Stop smoking.
- Stop drinking.
- Really, just stop.
Yeah, yeah, we know that an apple a day keeps a doctor away. But how about a dentist? If you didn’t know by now, apples are an excellent tip on how to get white teeth naturally. The main reason is that they fall under the raw, crunchy and fresh food category we mentioned above, making them an awesome treat for cleaning your teeth. Just like strawberries, apples contain malic acid, that delightful ingredient that can pave your way to a superstar smile.
- Try to incorporate as many apples as you can into your diet.
- We recommend eating raw apples for the best results.
- Either bite into an apple directly or slice it and enjoy the pieces.
15. Apple Cider Vinegar
Not only are apples exceptional as a tip on how naturally whiten teeth, but apple cider vinegar is just as effective. Like turmeric, you can find apple cider vinegar on numerous lists of home remedies, owing to anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties (among many others). These properties are also one of the reasons why apple cider vinegar is so great for whitening teeth. This solution can successfully remove stains in no time.
- There are two main ways you can use apple cider vinegar to naturally whiten teeth: as a liquid toothpaste or as a mouthwash.
- For the first method, mix two parts of apple cider vinegar with one-part baking soda and brush your teeth with it.
- Alternatively, use some apple cider vinegar as a mouthwash after you brush your teeth.
- Repeat several times weekly for a spectacular smile.
16. Baking Soda & Hydrogen Peroxide
Last but not least, the top ingredient for how to naturally whiten teeth is baking soda. When combined with hydrogen peroxide, the effects are even more amazing than you could imagine.
- Mix two parts hydrogen peroxide with one-part baking soda. Two tablespoons with one tablespoon should work just fine.
- Brush your teeth with this solution.
- Wait for two minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
All in all, if you want to learn how to naturally whiten teeth, you just need to look in the right place. There are more than enough alternatives to commercial products or procedures that can greatly harm your tooth enamel. However, almost all of these methods take time to work. You really can’t expect to brush your teeth with activated or turmeric once and see results overnight. What you can do, though, is follow your remedy of choice on a daily basis to start seeing brilliant results in a few weeks or months. Moreover, you shouldn’t be afraid to try out several remedies on how to naturally whiten teeth before you find the best one for your body.
So, which one had the best impact on your pearly whites? Do share with us in a comment below!