It’s no wonder why home remedies for acne are so popular, considering that 50 million individuals in the United States suffer from this condition every year, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Moreover, the NIAMS estimates that around 80% of all people between ages 11-30 get an acne outbreak at one point or another during these years. Subsequently, you are highly likely to be one of the individuals searching for at home remedies for acne. Even though it is a painful and obnoxious conditions, there are numerous home remedies for back acne, home remedies for baby acne and even home remedies for acne scars on face that you can test. Take a look at our list of fast home remedies for acne and start feeling better.
Safe, Natural and Quick Home Remedies for Acne
A wonderful home remedy for cystic acne might already be in your refrigerator, if you love eating fruit. Acidic foods like oranges have antibacterial properties that make them some of the best home remedies for acne on back, chest, face or arms around. When using an orange as a home remedy for adult acne, you should know that you can put multiple parts of it to good use. While some prefer to use the juice extracted from oranges to treat acne, we recommend the peel for the best results.
- Peel an orange and wait for it to dry.
- Crush the orange peel until it becomes a fine powder.
- Add a little bit of water and mix the powdered orange peel until you get a paste.
- Dab the orange peel paste on the key areas with acne and let it dry for fifteen minutes.
- Wash your face and repeat as necessary.
By far, one of the best natural home remedies for body acne is chamomile. This herb is loaded with delightful health benefits that can heal your painful acne, like anti-inflammatory properties. This home remedy for acne breakout can be applied in two main ways, so see which one is the best for you.
- Take a chamomile tea bag and cut it open.
- Grind up its contents and add a small amount of water so you can create a paste.
- Gently apply this paste on your problem areas with acne.
- As an alternative, brew some chamomile tea using 2 bags and 1 cup of water.
- After the tea cools down, take a cotton pad and carefully apply it to your face.
3. Aspirin Paste
Another one of the most amazing home remedies for face acne that you probably wouldn’t have expected is aspirin. This readily available tablet works by drying up the affected areas through its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take 4 aspirin tablets and add them to some water. Two tablespoons should suffice.
- Mix well and use the solution directly on your pimples.
- Repeat when needed.
- If your acne persists after a few weeks of frequent use, contact your dermatologist for professional treatment.
4. Sea Salt
Among the most reputable home remedies for acne redness, exfoliation is one of the most common steps that need to be taken. While sea salt itself is a great abrasive agent, you need to combine it with a gentle moisturizer to get the best results. In this case, you can use honey as part of your sea salt home remedy face mask for acne.
- Take three teaspoons of boiled water and add one of sea salt.
- Mix them well and add a teaspoon of honey.
- After the solution has chilled, apply it to your face as a mask. You can also just apply it to key areas you want to treat.
- Wait for approximately ten minutes for it to take action.
- Wash your face and put on a chemical-free moisturizer for extra protection.
As you have noticed, quite a few home remedies for severe acne contain honey. The reason is that honey is rich in nutrients and acne-fighting properties that can help your skin become clean, clear and healthy again.
- You can use honey in various ways to treat acne. If you don’t have a lot of time at hand, simply apply a bit of honey to your breakout areas and wait twenty minutes.
- If you can, mix some honey with oatmeal or cinnamon to create a great natural mask.
- Leave the honey mask on for half an hour before rinsing.
6. Green Tea
As one of the best home remedies for adult acne, green tea has a myriad of health benefits that can be applied for countless other issues too. Its antimicrobial, antifungal and antioxidant properties can combat acne like never before. To get this home remedy for pimples right, follow the instructions below.
- Brew a cup or two of green tea.
- Wait for it to cool and use it to wash your face on a daily basis.
- Alternatively, use green tea bags that have been boiled to place over the areas with acne.
A wonderful home remedy for back acne that you can whip up in a few minutes is oatmeal. Like in the case of sea salt, oatmeal is great for exfoliating your skin naturally and getting rid of acne. Likewise, if you add honey, the impact will be even greater.
- Prepare a bowl of oatmeal as you normally would.
- Add 2 tablespoons of raw, organic honey to the oatmeal.
- Wait until it completely cools off and apply it as a mask to your face.
- After half an hour, rinse with cold water.
8. Egg Whites
Eggs are amazing home remedies for hormonal acne, but their whites work the best for this condition. The nutrients that egg whites contain – such as proteins and vitamins – are perfect for battling annoying pimples.
- Take three eggs and set the whites aside.
- Whip them until you get a bubbly liquid.
- Apply the egg whites to your face in layers, waiting for one to dry before adding another.
- Allow all the layers to dry naturally for about half an hour before washing your face.
As far as home remedies for acne and blackheads are concerned, lemons are a fantastic natural alternative. As we previously mentioned, acidic foods have powerful anti-inflammatory properties that will help your skin get back on the right track.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. We recommend that you use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best results.
- Use a cotton swab to dab the lemon juice on your problematic areas.
- If you experience a stinging sensation, you can add some plain white yogurt to soothe the side effect.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Not only is apple cider vinegar a best home remedy for acne scars, but it is effective for a great number of other health issues. Its antibacterial, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties all work together perfectly for putting a stop to acne. Please note that ACV should always be diluted before using for home remedies.
- Add one part ACV to three parts water and mix well.
- Use a cotton pad to apply the diluted ACV to the areas where your acne is acting up.
- Wait for fifteen minutes before washing your face.
One of the home remedies for bad acne and pimples that has been used for years on end is toothpaste. You would be surprised to see the positive impact that toothpaste has on pimples, thanks to the fact that it dries them effectively.
- To properly apply this home remedy, simply dab a bit of toothpaste on your acne areas before you go to sleep at night. Make sure that you use plain, white toothpaste.
- Allow it to work its magic overnight so you can see the results in just a few days.
Tomatoes act as excellent home remedies for chest acne, and for basically any other area on your body. They are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and other nutrients that greatly benefit your skin.
- Cut a tomato in half and use it directly on your acne-infected areas.
- Wait for about fifteen minutes before rinsing.
- Repeat this remedy on a daily basis and you will start seeing results in approximately seven days.
The anti-inflammatory properties in omega-3 fatty acid supplements recommend them as awesome home remedies for pimples and acne. If you are interested in learning more about the health benefits that omega-3 supplements present, look into this report prepared by the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health.
- Consult your doctor about the best omega-3 supplements for your case.
- Even though the results aren’t immediate, they have a long-term impact that can keep acne away.
14. Diet Changes
Although diet changes aren’t home remedies for acne scars overnight, they will have an exceptional impact if you maintain them. Sometimes you need to make some significant lifestyle changes in order to genuinely improve your skin condition. Here are some helpful steps you can take to avoid acne breakouts
- Rest well at night.
- Avoid fatty foods and drinks.
- Add vegetables and whole grains to your everyday diet.
- Ensure that you are drinking enough water.
- Exercise regularly.
Regarding home remedies for acne marks, turmeric is a top ingredient that can help you out. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant and antifungal properties that all fight pimples, blackheads and acne in general. Combine turmeric with coconut oil for a much-needed extra dose of vitamin E.
- Take equal parts of warm coconut oil and turmeric powder. Half a teaspoon each usually does the trick.
- Dab the paste everywhere you need to.
- Allow it to work as you sleep.
- In the morning, wash your face and repeat the process nightly to stay away from acne.
16. Aloe Vera
Labeling aloe vera as one of the good home remedies for acne would be an understatement. This incredible plant is moisturizing and can reduce inflammation effectively. You can find aloe vera gel in many places, but we recommend that you get your own plant at home so you can use it for multiple situations.
- Slice an aloe leaf and extract the juice inside.
- Use this gel directly on your pimples twice a day.
- Repeat every day for positive results.
Not only is Echinacea one of the best home remedies for acne scars and pimples, but it’s also great for preventing a wide range of other health conditions and illnesses. It comes packed with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial benefits – just what you need to fight acne.
- Brew Echinacea tea and use it to wash your face after it cools down.
- Alternatively, use Echinacea tincture on your acne areas.
18. Baking Soda
If you want to learn about easy home remedies for acne, you should know that baking soda is your go-to ingredient at all times. Antiseptic, antifungal, antibacterial – you name it! Baking soda has it all.
- Use equal parts of baking soda and water to create a mask.
- Leave it on for twenty minutes before washing off.
A delicious home remedy for acne scars and dark spots is yogurt. Not the one filled with fruit and sugar, but the variety commonly regarded as Greek yogurt. Learn how to benefit from the lactic acid in plain yogurt below.
- Apply a thick layer of Greek yogurt to your face or problem area.
- Allow it to set for fifteen minutes.
- Rinse and repeat regularly.
Last but not least, mint is surprisingly another one of the home remedies for getting rid of acne that you can try out. It works best when combined with oatmeal and yogurt, so consider getting these ingredients prepared too. We recommend it for preventing acne breakouts.
- Cut some fresh mint into tiny pieces until you get about two tablespoons.
- Combine it with the same amount of powdered oatmeal and yogurt.
- Apply to your acne area and wash off after 10 minutes.
In conclusion, all of these ingredients are excellent as home remedies for dark spots from acne, home remedies for teenage acne or home remedies for acne and acne scars when applied properly. However, you should never leave severe cases of acne untreated professionally. Which one was effective for you? Share your story in the comments!
Image credits: no attribution required.