There are many upset stomach remedies that you can try at home to quickly alleviate the symptoms of stomach problems. Home remedies for upset stomach issues are very popular as they offer simple and natural alternatives to medication. Common symptoms of an upset stomach include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, bloating, nausea, heartburn, or vomiting. In other words, homemade upset stomach remedies are something you want to have close-by just in case.
Dealing with these symptoms can cause serious discomfort so it’s ideal to know some home remedies for upset stomach issues that you can easily put together and use. An upset stomach can be caused by a number of factors including food poisoning, gastrointestinal disease, stress, an infection, an allergic reaction, excessive drinking, or overeating.
Not only are the options that we’ve listed here great upset stomach home remedies, they are also easily accessible and don’t cause the side-effects that pharmaceutical remedies often do.
Upset Stomach Remedies that Soothe the Pain Fast
Share this Image On Your Site
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
This natural home remedy for upset stomach troubles is one of the most commonly recommended organic treatments. Apple cider vinegar contains a high concentration of pectin, a substance that can soothe an irritated stomach and that can relieve stomach pain. Apple cider vinegar can also help improve digestion by supplying the stomach with beneficial bacteria that the digestive tract needs in order to function properly.
- Make sure to buy organic apple cider vinegar that still contains the “mother” apple.
- Mix 1 or 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water.
- If you cannot tolerate the taste, you can add a teaspoon of honey.
- Drink a glass of this mixture 15 minutes before a meal, three times a day.
The upset stomach remedies list also includes this amazing superfood. Ginger has antifungal and antibacterial properties which make it a very effective upset stomach remedy. It can help soothe stomach pains and reduce the frequency of watery or loose stools. It can also help eliminate indigestion and relax the digestive tract. It may not be the best option for those suffering from high blood pressure.
- Chop 4 or 5 slices of fresh ginger and boil them in two cups of water along with a few slices of lemon. Let them simmer for 10 minutes, then let the tea cool down. Remove the slices of ginger.
- Add some honey to improve the taste if you need to.
- Drink the tea several times throughout the day.
- You can chew fresh ginger instead if you like the taste.
- You can mix a cup of buttermilk with one-half teaspoon of dry ginger powder and drink this solution three times a day for a couple of days instead.
One of the best known natural remedies for upset stomach problems is the humble banana. Rich in both pectin and potassium, bananas help replace electrolytes lost during frequent stools. They also aid in hardening stools, absorbing excess acid, and eliminating gas from the stomach.
- You can simply enjoy a banana as is or mash it up and mix it with a glass of buttermilk instead.
- Include bananas in your diet for three or four days to help get your digestion back on track.
- If you are mixing the banana with buttermilk, drink the liquid three or four times a day for two days.
4. Rice and Rice Water
This natural remedy for upset stomach symptoms can act quickly and help you counter multiple side effects of stomach issues. Rice water creates a protective barrier over the stomach lining, helping reduce inflammation and eliminate diarrhea. The rice itself is also a great meal option when you’ve got an upset stomach, as it helps solidify loose stools and it is easy to digest.
- Boil ½ cup of rice in two cups of water until the rice is soft.
- Remove the pot from the stove and let it sit for 15 minutes with the lid still on.
- Strain the rice. You can drink the rice water and save the rice for later in case you get hungry.
Cinnamon is considered a potent natural remedy for upset stomach troubles as it stimulates the digestive system. It also has calming properties that help soothe an upset stomach and get it functioning as per usual in no time.
- Try to consume ½ teaspoon or a teaspoon of cinnamon a day for two or three days.
- You can mash the cinnamon into a banana or apple puree.
- Alternatively, you can stir a ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder into a cup of boiling water, let it sit for 5 minutes, then drink as a tea.
6. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are considered one of the best home remedies for an upset stomach and they are easy to obtain. It has digestive and anti-flatulent properties and it can also help reduce constipation because it is very rich in fiber.
- Place 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds into a cup and add boiling water to make fennel tea.
- Keep the cup covered and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Strain the seeds and drink the tea three times a day on an empty stomach.
Yogurt contains live bacteria that helps restore the balance of beneficial bacteria cultures in the stomach and intestines. This helps the body improve digestion, reduce bloating, and heal more quickly. It also helps alleviate diarrhea and indigestion issues. One of the cheapest upset stomach remedies, eating yogurt can soothe the pain and load up your body with protein.
- Try to eat yogurt once or twice a day until the symptoms disappear. You can incorporate banana slices into the yoghurt to improve the taste and effectiveness.
- Eat plain yoghurt instead of fruit yoghurt. Plain yoghurt contains fewer additives and less sugar.
There are many natural remedies for an upset stomach to choose from and mint is a great option. It is widely used to treat indigestion and reduce nausea. Mint has antibacterial and antispasmodic properties that can help soothe an upset stomach.
- Add a teaspoon of dried mint leaves into a cup of boiling water and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Strain the leaves and drink the tea throughout the day.
- Alternatively, you can blend fresh mint leaves and extract the juice. Add a bit of honey and lime to the juice and drink it several times during the day.
9. Heat Pack
Many people feel nauseous and have a difficult time eating when they have an upset stomach. This is why the heat pack may be the best remedy for upset stomach symptoms such as cramps or inflammation. You don’t have to force yourself to eat anything and it can help reduce pain and swelling.
- Place a heat pack or a bottle of warm water on your stomach to help alleviate cramps. It will also encourage blood circulation in the area. Lie down and hold the heat pack there for 20 minutes.
- Reheat it and repeat the process for another 20 minutes.
10. Cumin Seeds
Natural upset stomach remedies have been used for centuries to help reduce pain and eliminate indigestion issues. Cumin seeds are one of the oldest home remedies for nausea and upset stomach troubles as they contain a substance known as thymol, which helps with digestion by increasing enzyme secretion.
- You can integrate cumin seeds in your cooking to improve digestion.
- For a quick home remedy, mix a tablespoon of honey with ¼ teaspoon of cumin seed powder and consume three times a day.
11. Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal absorbs bad bacteria and microbes that are causing digestion problems within the stomach. It is a very safe natural remedy that both children and adults can take and that starts having a positive effect within minutes of ingesting it.
- You can buy activated charcoal from most pharmacies and health stores.
- Follow the recommended dosages and the instructions on the package before taking it.
12. Baking Soda
This may be one of those natural remedies for an upset stomach that our grandparents told us about as it’s been used for quite some time. Baking soda acts as any antacid and neutralizes stomach acid, helping to reduce indigestion, heartburn, and bloating.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of baking soda into 1 or 2 cups of warm water and drink the mixture. Fair warning, it doesn’t taste great but it will help you feel better.
13. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are natural remedies for upset stomach and diarrhea as they are high in mucilage. Fenugreek seeds also help fight gastritis and stomach cramps.
- Mix a tablespoon of fenugreek seed powder into a glass a water and stir the mixture well. Drink it twice a day for two or three days.
- Eat a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds mixed with a tablespoon of yoghurt twice a day.
Chamomile is one of the tried and tested home remedies for an upset stomach. It has anti-inflammatory properties and also has an antispasmodic effect on muscles. It helps the lining of the digestive tract to relax, improving digestion.
- Tea made from chamomile flowers will help your digestive system work properly. Boil a handful of chamomile flowers in water for 15 minutes.
- Strain the flowers, add a teaspoon of honey, and drink the tea three times a day.
- Alternatively, you can buy chamomile tea bags to make this tea.
Thyme is considered a natural remedy for upset stomach symptoms such as indigestion and bloating. It eliminates gas from the stomach and helps reduce cramping. You can easily find this evergreen herb in many spice shops and health stores.
- Boil some water and pour it over a few dried thyme leaves in a cup. Cover the cup and let it sit for 10 minutes, then strain the leaves.
- Drink the mixture on an empty stomach two or three times a day.
If your stomach is rumbling and aching, it may be because your overactive stomach acids have no food to burn through. If you haven’t eaten anything all day, this is most likely the cause. Although it is recommended to eat something, bland or dry foods may be the safest bet.
- Try to eat few plain crackers to keep your acidity levels in check without overloading your stomach with too much food to process before it’s at full capacity again.
This might not sound like one of the typical upset stomach remedies, however, its effects are proven. Some sodas such as lemon-lime soda or ginger ale can help settle your stomach if you’ve eaten too much or if your stomach has reacted badly to a new type of food you’ve tried. The carbonation in the sodas will help you burp and feel better after having eaten too much.
- Choose non-caffeinated sodas that have low sugar content for a more effective remedy.
- Drink carbonated water instead of sweet sodas if your stomach is upset and you feel a bit nauseous.
18. Natural Fruit Juice
When you’re suffering from an upset stomach, it’s usually difficult to tolerate food and absorb nutrients. Whether it’s a stomach flu or just a bad indigestion, natural fruit juice can help supply your body with the nutrients and vitamins that it’s missing out on when you can’t eat properly. It also goes down easier than solid food does.
- Try to make fruit juice yourself and avoid buying juice that has added sugar and chemicals for best results.
- If you don’t like food pulp, you can strain the juice before you drink it. Mix several fruits and add vegetables for more vitamins.
Carrots can help relieve indigestion and have a beneficial effect on an upset stomach when consumed in moderation. They provide your body with much-needed nourishment and help fight against diarrhea so it’s great to integrate a few into your diet. This is one of the easiest upset stomach remedies that you can use at home or on the go.
- Boil 4 carrots in 4 cups of water and add a teaspoon of dried peppermint into the water.
- Cook for 15 minutes until the carrots have softened, then blend together to make a juice.
- Drink the juice throughout the day.
Toast helps reduce nausea and solidify stools, helping to quickly settle and upset stomach. It is one of those go-to upset stomach remedies that never fail to make you feel better. It’s especially useful for when you feel ill and don’t feel like you can eat much of anything as it’s bland but also helps absorb acid.
- Some recommend charring the toast a bit to reduce nausea but some consider the char a carcinogen so it’s best to simply toast it as you would normally prefer it.
- Don’t smother it in butter or jelly as it may upset your stomach even more. Toast is one of the best upset stomach remedies you can use but its main benefit is that it is bland so it’s best to keep it that way.
Hopefully, this article helps you figure out what the best upset stomach remedies are for you. Cramps, indigestion, and nausea are never pleasant but the right upset stomach remedies can help you get back on your feet sooner using natural ingredients and a stomach-friendly diet.
IF these remedies didn’t cut it, you can also go through our list of home remedies for stomach virus!