Upper respiratory infections, shortened as URIs, are exactly what you would expect given their name. Usually the result of some sort of fungal or bacterial activity, they spread to elements of the upper respiratory system such as nose, sinuses, and throat. They are incredibly contagious by nature and they tend to manifest similarly to a common cold, except more severe. Typical symptoms include sneezing, coughing, a runny nose, and more. However, you should be able to keep under control plenty of these symptoms using natural home remedies for upper respiratory infections.
Learn how to get rid of the discomfort using these home remedies for upper respiratory infections
Share this Image On Your Site
1. Salt Water
- FLAVOR - Real Salt is unlike any salt on earth. It's subtly sweet, never bitter sea salt that makes every bite delicious. First try Real Salt, then try any other salt. The difference will amaze you!
- NATURAL - Unrefined, unprocessed and ancient sea salt with trace minerals and no additives. Natural sea salt just the way nature made it, with nothing added and nothing removed
- HEALTHY - Recommended by doctors! An ancient sea salt recommended by doctors and health professionals for its unique blend of trace minerals
- VARIETY - Variety of packaging, sizing, and salt grain size (powder, fine, kosher, coarse), suitable for different application and use. Convenient refill pouches and shakers, perfect for food storage, and excellent for travel. Makes a practical and memorable gift for an individual or a whole family
- MINED IN USA - Mined in Utah since 1958 from an ancient seabed protected from modern pollution. Compared to Himalayan, Celtic, Tibetan, Malaysian, French, Hawaiian, Irish, and Marine Sea Salts, Real Salt means fewer food miles, ethical labor standards, and sustainable practices along with its addictive sweet-salt taste. The only American Pink and Black Salt.
The first option on our home remedies for upper respiratory infections list is salt water. This is because salt has all the properties that would make at treatment for URIs effective: it destroys bacteria, soothes inflammations, and helps with possible breathing issues by opening oxygen canals. This is also efficient to used if you have clogged ears.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of salt to a cup of water room temperature and stir it until the salt has completely dissolved.
- Grab a bulb syringe and drop the solution into one nostril at a time with your head tilting back.
- Inhale gently to draw the solution further into the nasal passages.
- Blow your nose to flush out the solution.
- Repeat this 2 or 3 times a day.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 cup of warm water.
- Gargle with this 2 or 3 times per day.
With home remedies for upper respiratory infections like turmeric, you can target the source of the problem and tear it out of its roots. Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound with powerful anti-inflammatory properties that will help soothe swollen and affected tissue, thus easing your breathing and gradually letting the bacteria submerge.
- Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Turmeric Powder, 16-ounce Pouch
- Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Raw, Earth Kosher, Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Turmeric is a true natural healer rich in dietary fiber, iron, potassium, magnesium and Vitamin B6
- Contains 3%-5% curcumin content
- 100% Money-Back Satisfaction Guarantee - We stand behind our products and offer a 30-day money back guarantee, backed by an outstanding customer service team.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a recipient with 1 cup of milk poured in.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let it cool until it achieves room temperature.
- Drink it while it’s still warm before bedtime.
- Do this every day.
Garlic is a strong antiviral agent which can truly banish bacteria and viruses as well as keeping them at bay if they try to take advantage of the weakened immune system. And speaking of that, garlic can also contribute to the bettering of your immune system so that your body can end up able to fight the infection to the best of its ability. Garlic is also a great home remedy for fighting bronchitis.
- Slice in half 1 garlic clove.
- Start biting down on the garlic clove, strong enough to squeeze out the juice.
- Repeat this daily.
- Add a few drops of garlic oil to 1/4 cup of water.
- Use this solution to gargle twice a day.
- 2 lbs. Fresh Ginger Root
- Fresh ginger is a staple in my kitchen. It is an extremely versatile ingredient.
- Ginger can be sliced into planks or matchsticks, chopped, grated, puréed, and minced,
Ginger is yet another remedy as old as time that people have been actively using to treat a number of issues caused by infections, specifically targeting inflammations. It has excellent soothing properties that will bring relief and open your breathing channels to allow a better passage of air. This is also a great home remedy for when suffering from a cold.
- Add 1 tablespoon of finely-chopped ginger to 1 cup of hot water.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add honey.
- Enjoy the tea 3 times a day, while it’s still warm.
Looking for the best home remedies for upper respiratory infections has to include honey. Honey is not only a great sweetener, but it’s also an amazing antiseptic agent which can fight against bacteria and help you get rid of the infections that they cause. Furthermore, honey is a moisturizer with the ability to lubricate breathing canals so that you can breathe with ease again.
- Have 1 tablespoon of honey on an empty stomach every morning.
- Follow this treatment until you notice improvements.
- Mix equal parts of honey with some basil juice.
- Consume this mixture 3 times per day.
Treatments through steam inhalation are incredibly common and, in plenty of situations, are the home remedies for upper respiratory infections that people use the most. After all, it’s really easy to undergo this treatment and it only requires some really simple steps. This works so great because the steam will successfully open air passages to make breathing easier. This is also a remedy recommended when suffering from chest congestion.
- Add a few drops of peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil to a small tub of hot water.
- Put a towel over your head and inhale the steam for a few minutes.
- Repeat several times a day.
- Start a hot bathroom shower with the door closed.
- Breathe in the steam vapors for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Do this once or twice daily.
7. Licorice Root
- Licorice root powder useful in healing digestive issues and as immunity booster.
- Licorice root is a natural skincare remedy (External use)
- Licorice powder is useful in sore throat, Cough and supports Expectorant and respiratory wellness
- Licorice powder is useful in acidity & supports as mild laxative
- Lab tested for quality, Non-GMO, vegan & gluten free
Licorice root is an ingredient that plenty of people have been using to treat inflammations and infections since the old times. It’s particularly useful for soothing inflammations and swollen tissue. Which means that it can help if your air passages are blocked because of URIs, as well as help in cases of shortness of breath.
- Add 2 teaspoons of licorice root powder to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Let it steep for around 10 minutes and then strain.
- Drink this tea while it’s still warm.
- Repeat this a few times a day for the benefits to start kicking in.
- Frontier Bulk Mullein Leaf, Cut & Sifted, ORGANIC, 1 lb. package
Mullein is only one of the many home remedies for upper respiratory infections that have excellent soothing properties which can drain stiffness and strain from your body. It’s a herb with calming effects which can easily help reduce inflammation and create protective shells against bacteria.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of dried mullein leaves or flowers to 1 and 1/2 cups of boiling water.
- Steep for about 15 minutes and strain.
- Drink this 2-3 times every day until your symptoms disappear.
- Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only. Always check the actual product label in your possession for the most accurate ingredient information due to product changes or upgrades that may not yet be reflected on our web site. These statements made in this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products offered are not intended to diagnose, treat
Eucalyptus is next up on our home remedies for upper respiratory infections recommendations, being a product with great antiseptic abilities. But, most of all, it’s fantastic for dealing with the dryness of the respiratory tracts which hinders your breathing. By blending a eucalyptus concoction, you will manage to earn one of the most reliable home remedies for an upper respiratory infection.
- Start by boiling some eucalyptus leaves in a pot of water.
- Let the mixture steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Sip slowly on this beverage throughout the day until you’re noticing improvements in your well-being.
It goes without saying that there is nothing quite like chewing on something minty to really feel like breathing again. Peppermint is the plant with the strongest refreshing and cooling properties, able to reopen your air passageways and to help you in case the infection is making breathing difficult. This also works great for soothing a sore throat.
- Two very nice, good sized plants, each 5"-7" tall - not leggy, not plugs, not seeds.
- Individually grown and shipped in 3.5" pots. The generous pot size offers you plants with a well developed root system, giving you a head start to plant maturity.
- Non GMO fresh herb plants shipped from our Illinois family-owned Greenhouse.
- Perennial herb with a multitude of uses. Use leaves fresh or dried
- Our Clovers Garden branded plants are shipped USPS PRIORITY MAIL for MAXIMUM freshness. Includes our Clovers Garden Copyrighted Plant Care Guide for growing robust, healthy, long-lasting plants. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed!!
- Add some peppermint fresh leaves to a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain and then add some honey to give it a nice taste.
- Drink it 2 or 3 times a day for the effects to kick in.
11. Lemon Juice
- One Dozen (12) Delicious and Sweet Sun Drenched Lemons.
- The Best Nature has to offer! Great for eating! Great for juicing. Decorative container not included.
- For more quantities, prices, and options please go to our Amazon Store listed below.
Lemon juice has all kinds of properties that make it a fantastic remedy for this problem. For starters, it has a high concentration of vitamin C, a compound which is crucial to the proper functioning of your immune system. Furthermore, lemon juice restores pH levels to their normal balance, thus creating an unwelcoming environment for bacteria.
- Fill a cup with warm water and then add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Stir everything together thoroughly.
- Drink the resulting mixture slowly several times throughout the day.
12. Onion Juice
- Great Taste In Salads
- Great to Fry With Other Vegetables
- Excellent to Bake With Pizza
- Adds Very Nice Color wWth Other Vegetables
Onions are powerful antioxidants which makes them an excellent home remedy for upper respiratory infections. They are able to create alkaline environments in which bacteria dies or stops developing, leaving room for your body to fight against it and to gradually start healing.
- Take a small red onion and then slice it in small cubes.
- Press over the cubes in order to squeeze out the juice.
- Blend it with a bit of water to make the taste easier to bare.
- Consume this juice 1 teaspoon at a time.
Although it’s true that URIs are not as bad as other types of infections affecting your respiratory system, it’s crucial to keep an eye on the development of this condition. Start using our home remedies for upper respiratory infections from the moment you experience the symptoms. But don’t let the thought of scheduling a doctor appointment slip your mind, as it can easily develop into something worse. If you have ever dealt with URIs before and tried any of the treatments we’ve mentioned, please let us know and share your experience in a comment below!